Configure Keyboard and Dance Pads
Connect your dance pad
- There are several ways to connect your PlayStation compatible dance mat to the PC. The most popular and easiest option is to use a PlayStation -> USB converter. For more information on what converters to buy, see the README and the page on USB Adapters. From here on we'll assume that you have a StepMania-compatible USB converter.
- Plug your dance pad into the PS->USB converter, and then plug the converter into an open USB slot.
- Windows will alert you that it has detected a new gamepad device. If you are prompted to install drivers, follow the instructions that came with your converters.
Test your dance pad
<SmScreen argument="Docs/tutorial_gamecontrollers.gif"/> <SmScreen argument="Docs/tutorial_converterpanel.gif"/>
There is no joystick test built into OSX. You should verify that your joystick works this test program: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22834
For most dance pads,
analog modules are required. Xbox Dance Pads require the
xpad module. If they are already compiled with your kernel, try :
modprobe joydev modprobe analog modprobe xpad (for xbox pads)
If not, refer to the manual of your distribution how to get it (you can also download the kernel sources from kernel.org and compile your own kernel yourself).
Then look for some test program, like joystick. Install it with your package manager or compile it yourself. For those using debian, do as root :
aptitude install joystick
And launch :
You might need to link
/dev/js0 by typping
ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0
- In the Start Menu's list of program, find the StepMania category, then click the item that reads "StepMania 3.0" (or something similar, like StepMania CVS or StepMania 3.9 rc3, etc).
- StepMania will begin running. If you have installed any songs it will take a moment to load these into memory. Now, you'll be presented with the title screen menu.
Go to the StepMania input mapping screen
Before using a dance pad in StepMania, you must map the buttons on your dance pad to functions in StepMania.
Important: If your USB adapter requires a code for "dance pad mode" (usually hold Up+Select+Start for 3 seconds), you must re-enter this code every time you restart your computer or unplug your USB adapter. It is especially important that you enter this code before mapping buttons in StepMania.
<SmScreen argument="Docs/tutorial_menu.gif" />
- Use the keyboard's arrow and Enter keys to select "Options", then choose "Config Key/Joy" option.
Using the StepMania input mapping screen
- This screen has a list of functions names down the middle and three columns of "slots" on either side.
- The slots on the left side are for the left pad, and the ones on the right are for the right pad.
- To assign a pad button to a function:
- Use the arrow keys to change the current slot
- Press Enter on the keyboard
- Press a button on your pad
- The third column of slots on each side is reserved for the default keyboard mapping. You cannot make assignments to the third column.
- If you use a dance pad, you will need to assign all the buttons of your dance pad to functions in StepMania. Start at the top row and assign keys to the Left, Right, Up, Down, Back, and Start functions. If you don't plan to use pads and are satisfied with the default keyboard assignments, they you don't need to change anything on this screen.
- Once all your keys are configured, press Escape to go back to the main menu.
USB adapter troubleshooting